The list of most popular websites in Indonesia during the second quarter of 2013 shows that the foreign web giants – Google, Facebook, et al – continue to dominate. Kaskus and Detik.com are locked in a battle for #1 Indonesian website, with Kaskus inching ahead at the end of the quarter.
A stable Top 10, led by the US web giants
The second quarter of 2013 saw very little change in the top 10 ranked websites in Indonesia, although the two changes were both notable. Firstly, Kaskus overtook Detik.com to become the #1 ranked website in Indonesia, and secondly, Twitter broke in to the top 10 for the first time. (Rankings based on Alexa.com rank, recorded on a monthly basis).
The Top 10 Indonesian sites
Kaskus took over from Detik.com as Indonesia’s #1 ranked website in 2Q 2013. Tokobagus, Portal VIVA and Berniaga all saw significant gains in their rankings during the period.
- Portal VIVA
An interesting set of “most improved” sites
The top 5 gainers during the second quarter presents an interesting list:
- ku6.com (China’s leading online video portal)
- Amazon.com (a global e-commerce site with no local Indonesia presence, yet still ranked #23 in Indonesia)
- delta-search.com (a google search bar hijacker, suggesting that a large number of Indonesian surfers are clicking yes when they should be clicking no)
- webgame.web.id (further evidence of the growing wave of online gaming in Indonesia)
- berniaga.com (can they maintain their position once eBay launches?)
So ku6.com could be the leading edge of an international expansion of the Chinese megasites, which to date have made relatively few inroads outside their native China. Or it could just be a flash in the pan. It will be interesting to see how the third quarter develops.